top of page

Decline in the ability to filter out distraction and focus attention begins much earlier than middle age - in people's 20s.

The war on distraction rages on, a decade after that first study on disrupted attention and aging. Our inability to sustain focus is now a crisis. Endless notifications and infinite feeds chip away at concentration from youth.

By young adulthood, fractured attention undermines memory and cognition. Middle age brings a "stickiness" making task transitions grueling. Older adults battle rapid-fire distractions impairing working memory.

Our tax-brained minds are the battlefield. The casualties: productivity, wellbeing, present-moment connections. Without a major counteroffensive, sustained focus - our endangered resource - may be permanently depleted.

5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

The State of the Culture, 2024

In 2024, the biggest part of the culture economy is distraction - endlessly scrolling through short videos, images and posts designed to grab your attention for a few seconds at a time. Major tech com

Wandering mind not a happy mind

Back in 2010, Harvard researchers Matthew Killingsworth and Daniel Gilbert found that we pay attention to our present tasks 53% of the time and are distracted by mind wandering the other 47%. Accordin

‘Distracted’ and the Fragmentation of Attention

Back in 2008, author Maggie Jackson warned that our obsession with digital devices could damage our ability to focus and think deeply. Fast forward to 2024 - studies prove she was right. Teens who con

Comentarios


bottom of page